Friday, January 27, 2017

An Open Love Letter and Fond Farewell



Play Video
An Open Love Letter and Fond Farwell from Mamma
It is with great sadness and love that I share this post today, as it will be my final day of business for Dali Mamma.
I have thought about this post, this love letter, to my family, customers and friends for the past week and knew above all else – I wanted to share my great joys with you, not my great sadness.
Dali Mamma was conceived more than five years ago in Central Park with two of my sisters and I. It was just two words – two words that came together out of my mouth and into my soul. I knew, and my sisters knew, when I said “dali mamma” for the first time, that it was going to be something special. And it was.
I wanted to create an extension of my home - my family, for the community to share. I wanted to cook simple food, made with farm fresh ingredients that would make people happy. I wanted Artists and Musicians to have a place to showcase their work and to get out into the world. I wanted to know all of my customers by name and to know what they loved – not just for lunch – but for life. And I did – I did all of that.
Often when a business closeses – there is talk of failure, talk of defeat. However, when I look at the past five years, I look lovingly on all of the spectacular experiences I have had and that I have shared with thousands – literally thousands of people. I have had the great privilege of cooking for and knowing all of you and I would not change a thing.
My goals for the Mamma were simple – to cook beautiful clean food and to make people happy. I met and surpassed both of those. I could not have done that without the tremendous staff I now have, nor any of the people who came before them. We were always a family. We laughed every single day – all day long. Jeff Lentz is an amazing loving chef who put all of his care into the Mamma – ensuring that everyone he met was well cared for. He shared his smile and his food with everyone who walked through the door. Dominique Quirino was the saving grace to Mamma. She came in and took charge and care of everything. She kept us on point and she kept us close. They are amazing friends for life.
I could not imagine a better working environment. Where tears were only shed because we laughed so hard. Where we were committed to the principles of kindness, humor and sustainability. Our creativity was cultivated most often from morsels of what was left over and from our inability to let one lemon rind pass through our hands until all of its gifts were properly unwrapped, grated, candied or roasted.
The Mamma was a village – it wasn’t one person who made her what she was, it was a collective, collaborative effort and I was lucky enough to have had the opportunity create lasting farmships and work closely with people like Justine & Brian Denison from Denison Farm, who tirelessly farm and grow the most amazing organic produce in the area, Sean O’Connor from R&G Cheese who makes the best local cheese and Sara Dapson and the Albany Boys & Girls Club where Traveling Tastebuds first took off.
There are people who truly made the Mamma come to life, like Erika and Brad Colacino, my cousins and my friends, who have been there every step of the way with me. Brad and his band Stranger at Home played at the opening of each cafĂ©. Nick Cosimono who has been a constant source of inspiration and Tanya Zahowski, who has been the hands that have held me up through every step of this experience. Ellie Markovitch is the most amazing person, let alone chef that I know. Her commitment to all things good made our kitchen warm and wise. Kasa Wahl-Losee and her husband Mark Losee came in with love and support whenever we needed it. And last, but definitely not least, Vincent Tocco – the window to Mamma’s soul – his continual commitment to bringing his gifts to our windows and walls was amazing. Thank you, Erika, Brad, Nick, Tanya, Ellie, Kasa and Vincent – you filled the Mamma with song and story.
To my staff, both past and present – Jeff Lentz, Dominique Quirino, Ellie Markovitch, Kasa Wahl-Losee, Mark Losee, Amanda Huggins, Jennifer Ann Nichols, Jim Wilson, Tammy Wilson, Alex Casey, Kayla Coons, Sara Dapson, Chloe Mincher, Veronica Nunes, Ava Markatos, Rachel Reed, Gavin Ellis, Jack Ellis, Leah, Maxwell Ellis, Alyssa Romer, Michael Buchann, James Haney, Sandy Kershaw Cutler, Jillian Mayott– thank you for all that brought to the Mamma, she wouldn’t have become what she was without every single one you.
Not only had I been so fortunate to have had the most amazing people to work with over the last five years, but I have had the most exceptional family who have cheered me on for more than 40 years. So, to my family, with all my love and thanks – please know that every single one of you inspired me every day to bring the best part of myself to the Mamma. You all were my driving force and I could not have even dreamed this dream if not for all of you.
And for my boys, who taught me how to love so fiercely – who have lovingly shared their Mamma with all of you – I love you.
And so this is the Mamma’s farewell – thank you so very much for giving me the opportunity to feed you.
Love Always,

The Mamma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring it on Home

 Hit Play  Through the latest transition of my life, what seems to have been the biggest – and the most profound. The last 5 mont...